With the vast array of information available for farmers in Qld and NSW during the drought we have complied an extensive list of resources that will enable you to quickly find out more detailed information, download application forms and learn more about the types of assistance that may be available to you. 

Queensland Government Drought Relief Document - information current as of June 2019


Queensland CWA

Qld CWA - funds now available to help drought affected families in Qld. The Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery Appeal funds are being distributed by QCWA to help pay for household expenses. These may include, but aren't restricted to : groceries, vehicle maintenance, school expenses, utility bills, dental and medical expenses. download application form here :     http://www.qcwa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/V2_F_081018-QCWA-PRCF_DROUGHT-APPLICATION-FORM.pdf


Rural Financial Counselling Service Southern Qld

Rural Financial Counselling Service Southern Queensland (RFCS-SQ) provides free, impartial, confidential and responsive rural financial counselling services across Southern Queensland. Through the Rural Financial Counselling Service Programme (RFCS), we support and assist eligible farmers, fishers, forest growers, harvesters and small related rural businesses who are experiencing financial hardship. Contact your nearest  rural financial counsellor here.

Farm Household Assistance - click here

What is rural financial counselling?

Rural financial counselling is:

  • free
  • confidential
  • impartial
  • independent of financial institutions, welfare agencies and government.

Who makes the decisions:  Your rural financial counsellor will support and work with you to develop options – and you make the decisions.


What rural financial counsellors CAN do -

Rural financial counsellors can:

  • analyse business performance & understand your financial position
  • develop cash flow budgets and projection
  • explore & identify options (business & risk management planning) to improve financial self-sufficiency
  • prepare for succession planning
  • prepare for and facilitate meetings with lenders
  • access Government Assistance and information
  • prepare for and manage events such as droughts, floods and fire
  • provide referrals to professionals and agencies

Rural financial counsellors CANNOT provide financial advice, succession planning advice, act as a mediator, provide social or family counselling, but they CAN provide referrals to appropriate professionals and information on how to prepare for discussions with experts.


Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate Department of Agriculture & Fisheries

$20,000 and $30,000 with a drought management plan. 

The Drought Relief Assistance Scheme (DRAS) is offered by the Queensland Government and administered
by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF). The purpose of the scheme is to assist primary
producers whose properties are drought declared to manage the welfare of their livestock during drought,
and to restore their herds after drought. The Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate helps with the cost of
establishing water infrastructure to supply water for emergency animal welfare needs.

Qld Department of Ag Drought Relief Assistance Scheme

Transport of fodder freight subsidy

Transport of water freight subsidy

Emergency water infrastructure rebate

Transport of livestock returning from agistment freight subsidy

Transport of livestock purchased for restocking freight subsidy

Drought management plan

Individually droughted property


OzCare Bush Connection 

Support for urban and remote rural families facing hardship
If you live in the Toowoomba area and are finding it difficult to maintain your farm or manage your finances The Bush Connection can help with:

Assessment of your current situation – on your farm or in our office
Informal counselling
Referral to legal and financial services
Setting goals and identifying options for the future
Information such as available entitlements or alternative employment options
Ongoing support including connections with community groups and visits from our volunteers “Friends of The Bush Connection”
Costs & Eligibility
There is no cost for the Bush Connection service for farming families who have one or more children under 18 living at home, in the areas of:

Toowoomba shire
Gatton area


Legal Aid Queensland 

The Farm and Rural Legal Service gives help and advice to Queensland rural producers and rural based business who:

  • have severe debt related problems
  • are in dispute with their lenders
  • are facing financial hardship relating to their business or
  • have been issued with an enforcement action notice by their bank or financier.

The service is free for Queensland producers and rural businesses. No means or merits tests apply. Factsheets and links here


The Salvation Army

If you are currently living in a drought affected area in Qld or NSW please reach out to the Salvos. Assistance and more info here. Call Annette Akeroyd Community Support Worker on 0746613617 annette.akeroyd@aue.salvationarmy.org



Centrelink - Farm Household Allowance

A payment for farming families in financial hardship.

Eligibility basics
a farmer who spends a major part of their time and capital working on the farm
the partner of a farmer who spends a major part of their time and capital working on the farm
meets the income and assets test limits
meets mutual obligation requirements
There are changes to what Farm Household Allowance (FHA) covers. You can get a new supplement as lump sum payments. There's also a temporary increase to the income and assets test.
The Australian Government is reviewing FHA to make sure it meets farmers’ needs. Find out more on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website. You can talk to one of our staff at a drought community event. These are taking place until March. View the locations and dates on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website.


Australian Government Rural Assistance

A phone service for farmers and their partners to talk to us about Farm Household Allowance.

Specialist staff can give you advice about:

  • eligibility
  • claiming
  • progress of applications
  • appeals
  • change in circumstances
  • reporting, and
  • general enquiries

Call the Farmer Assistance Hotline and talk to us about assistance we give to farmers. Mon - Fri 8am til 8pm phone 132 316.


Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

A group of payments for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local government school because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

Eligibility basics:
your child meets the living, age and study requirements, and is geographically isolated
has a disability or special education need, or
has no reasonable access to a government school


Rural Aid

We know farmers are a proud bunch. Many won’t ask for help. We know that many suffer in silence but we want to change that. To allow us to help you we need to know who you are. If you’re a farming family in need of help, please let us know. If you know a farming family that needs help, tell them about this campaign or even register them here and we’ll respectfully contact them and offer our services. We can’t help if we don’t know about you. Please note: Upon completion of the registration form you should receive an automated email from us. If you do not receive the email, check your spam folder, if the email is not there, please contact Rural Aid and the Buy a Bale team on 1300 327 624 during business hours. Also, if you are a farmer and already registered with Buy a Bale and if you would like to receive a ONCE OFF $1500 from Rural Aid towards bill payment: Click Here or call Rural Aid Counselling on 1300 327 624. www.buyabale.com.au , www.farmrescue.com.au 


Southern Downs Regional Council

phone 1300 697 372 or email charee.aspinall@sdrc.qld.gov.au



The Drought Hub - your one stop resource center for all assistance available through NSW Government and the DPI

Find Assistance Near You 

Drought Financial Assistance :

Visit Frequently Asked Questions for an overview of the Emergency Drought Relief Package, announced on 30 July 2018.

This page provides details and links to the wide range of measures being delivered by the NSW Government to support farmers impacted by drought conditions.  This list is regularly updated when new initiatives are announced.  You can print this page directly from the website or download a summary page (PDF, 229.88 KB).


On-Farm Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate 

The Australian and NSW Governments are offering a rebate to drought affected farmers who invest in urgently-needed on-farm water infrastructure. Farmers will be able to access a 25% rebate on new purchases and installation costs of water infrastructure projects on-farm across NSW to help them in the current drought and be better prepared for future dry conditions. The On-Farm Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate scheme can be applied to new purchases and installation of pipes, water storages and water pumps, de-silting dams, and associated power supplies such as generators. Farmers will be eligible to apply through the NSW government for the rebates which will also cover eligible work undertaken since 1 July 2018. Click on this link for all information and forms : www.raa.nsw.gov.au